They say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, so why not win over your dad’s heart by taking him out for a hearty meal at Royal Palm Hotel located on Palm Blvd, New Town Centre in Umhlanga Ridge. Having recently launched their new menu, THYME@ROYAL PALM restaurant’s menu now offers an array of amazing new dishes to delight everyone.
There are plenty of hearty lunch meals for dads, featuring, amongst many, gourmet baskets which include tender pork ribs, crumbed chicken strips, crumbed mushrooms or tempura hake goujons. He may most certainly want to tuck into the Royal Palms spicy chicken livers, simmered in their world famous homemade creamy peri-peri sauce or munch on some Buffalo wings served with a choice of sweet and sour or blue cheese dipping sauce.
For the main course, there is English beer battered fish & chips, beef rump, traditional Durban mutton curry bunny or grilled quarter chicken.
There is also a new dinner menu with many perfect meat options for the man of the house.
Mains are extensive with lots to choose from – chili and prawn linguini, grilled queen prawns, linefish of the day, grilled half chicken, mutton curry, chicken and mushroom Alfredo or mushroom Alfredo and Asian vegetable stir-fry as vegetarian options.
From the grill, there is lamb loin chop, beef rump, beef sirloin or fillet served with a choice of sauces – mushroom, peri peri, creamy cheese, pepper or monkey gland sauce.
You also have the option of ordering dinner for two from the grill, being either a grilled T bone or whole roast chicken served with two side dishes, options being chips, potato wedges, salad or sautéed vegetables.
If he has a sweet tooth, well that’s covered with cakes, crème brulee, ice cream and chocolate sauce or seasonal fruit salad.
So, make a booking, and enjoy some special time with your dad. These memories last forever.
Guy Gorrie, father and executive Chef at Thyme@RoyalPalm, shares his favourite home cooked meal that the family all make together and spend time in the kitchen together.
Slow cooked Beef Pot Roast
- 2kg roast beef (like topside or sirloin)
- 2 heads of garlic, tops cut off (reserve tops)
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 50g tomato paste
- 1 packet oxtail soup powder
- 250ml red wine
- 1L beef stock
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
How it’s done:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Make incisions in the meat with a small, sharp knife and stuff each with an off-cut of garlic.
- Heat the oil over high heat and brown the meat all over. Add the onions, carrots and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add the oxtail soup, red wine and 250ml of the beef stock and cook for 3 minutes. Add the rest of the stock, garlic and rosemary sprigs. Cover and roast for 30 minutes.
- Turn the temperature down to 175°C and roast for 30 minutes. Uncover and roast for 15 minutes. Allow to rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.