For some, the sand, sea and sun may be the ideal setting for a honeymoon and for others, it may be cooler temperatures, made for getting cozy and cuddling; or perhaps a country setting with many activities to explore.
If you haven’t yet considered where you’d like to spend your first days as a “bound” couple, the KZN Midlands should be on your “to-see” list.
The Midlands is made up of several small towns that resemble the European countryside, including: Howick, Merrivale, Hilton, Lions River, Dargle, Lidgetton, Balgowan, Nottingham Road, Rosetta and Mooi River, and is home to the Midlands Meander, which incorporates several tourism routes boasting accommodation, art and crafts, activities, restaurants and more.
The climate is usually a few degrees cooler that Durban with hot, wet summers and cool, dry and at times, snowy winters – making for a variety of settings all in one place.
If you are in two minds of where to book you honeymoon and have your heart set on a destination honeymoon, then why not meet your desire halfway with a honeymoon away from home, yet in the same country and perhaps only a few hours’ drive. Lucky enough, the Midlands provides an ideal “destination” feel, and allows South Africans to explore more of their beautiful Country.
Along the Midlands Meander you will find a range of romantic honeymoon options, with some that go beyond the helm when it comes to service.
Sean Granger and his team at Granny Mouse Country House & Spa treat honeymooners with extra special care, knowing that this is their fist “real” holiday as a newlywed couple.
Apart from gorgeous Deluxe Suites which have all the minor details needed for a great honeymoon, such as heated flooring in the bathroom, a balcony that overlooks the Lion’s River, and a fully stocked fridge with goodies “on the house” to enjoy as a late night snack, there is also a gorgeous fine dining restaurant to enjoy gourmet food – some of the best the Midlands has to offer, expertly prepared by their Executive Culinary Artist.
To top this off, there is an on-site spa, offering specialised treatments including one especially for newlyweds – which they call the “Honeymoon Harmony”, offering two and a half hours of bliss and romantic moments spent with your loved one in the privacy of the couple’s room.
When you’re ready to explore, there are a range of activities on offer in and near the Hotel, so you won’t even have to travel too far. There is literally something for everyone, from birding, to golfing, to horse-riding, biking and more.
Here is a guide to help you on your way to a fun-filled honeymoon along the Midlands Meander:
- Adventure awaits at the Karkloof Canopy Tour – enjoy unequalled beauty of the indigenous Karkloof forest as you zip line to magnificent viewpoints in between the towering trees with an abundance of birdlife for birding enthusiasts
- Horse country – enjoy a romantic trot with a one day horse trail available at Buffelsbosch Equestrian in Lidgetton West, only about a 10 minutes’ drive from Granny Mouse.
- Taking flight – Sky Adventures offer a once in a lifetime activity – hot air ballooning. Lifting off at dawn, the balloon flights include coffee and biscuits before the flight, champagne or fruit juice afterwards, and breakfast back at the launch site. The flight itself is about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Artsy craftsy – there are numerous arty activities to get involved in along the meander which include candle dipping, pottery, and shopping for curio items as memorabilia of your time together.
- For foodie-fanatics – try cheese tasting at Swisslands cheese, beer tasting at Nottingham Road Brewery, a “Chocolate dippingz” experience at Chocolate Heaven, and a first for the Midlands, a Macaroon & Wine tasting at Granny Mouse.
There is so much on offer amongst the rolling green hills, but one thing is certain, your honeymoon is set to be romantic, adventurous, entertaining and a time full of happy memories. So, visit www.grannymouse.co.za to take a look at what you could expect from Granny Mouse and the KZN Midlands.